Although we are only in mid-November, the temperatures have dropped and brrrrrrrr it’s cold out! While we can’t control the weather, we can minimize some of winters biggest threats to your home. While you likely don’t want to think about snow right now, it’s important to take the necessary precautions to reduce risk.
Prior to a snow storm:• Make sure your gutters are clear of leaves and debris.
• Keep the attic well ventilated so snow doesn’t melt and refreeze on the roof’s edge.
• Make sure the attic floor is well insulated to minimize the amount of heat rising through the attic from within the house.
To help prevent pipes from freezing:• Fit exposed pipes with insulation sleeves or wrapping to slow heat transfer.
• Seal cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water pipes with caulking.
• Keep cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
• Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets connected to pipes that run through an unheated or unprotected space.